Wednesday, July 4, 2012

New Quilt Top

It seems like forever since I actually started and finished a new quilt top in the same year! I've been working on UFO's for the last couple of years and starting something new was getting to be a real hankering. So my stars must have been in alignment as I decided last month to make a quilt out of a new magazine subscription I signed up for.

First about the magazine. Name is Modern Quilts Illustrated. It is written, illustrated and produced by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr at the Modern Quilt Studio in Oak Park, IL. I have seen several of their patterns in some of the other magazines and I have always liked them. I guess, because they use lots of squares and rectangles they suit me to a tea. I decided to use the first pattern in the magazine, it is called Stacks. Of course I could not follow the directions exactly so I made a couple of changes.

For fabrics, I pulled out a "why did I buy this" hunk of fabric from my stash to use as the starting point only.

 Then started pulling reds that would go with it. Then I pulled a pretty neutral from the shop. I have a hard time naming fabric colors but I'm going to call it a light butterscotch. (It always makes me hungrey for ice cream when I'm working on it.)

I should probably use the original fabric for the backing but I don't think I will. I may use it for the binding.

This is what I want to use for backing.
With all that said, here is the quilt.
Quilt size: 50" x 82"

In the next few days I will cut my back and get it ready, then cut the binding strips and label them. Then it all goes on a hanger until that "someday" in the future when I will find the time to hand quilt it, and that may take a while as I have two quilts at the longarmers waiting to get basted right now. I will say it was a lot of fun picking out and making this quilt all at one time. I need to do that more often.



No comments:

Post a Comment